What are the major diseases that occur in the cornea?
- Infection – mainly from scratches on the cornea and contact lens
- Injury – may lead to rupture of the cornea
- Post-operative (mainly after cataract surgery) loss of corneal transparency
- Diseases of corneal shape
- Rheumatological diseases affecting cornea.
- Contact lens related corneal diseases
What are the main symptoms of corneal diseases?
- Pain on looking at light
- Foreign body sensation
- Whitish lesion on the “black part”(i.e. cornea) of the eye.
What are the corneal diagnostics available in Susrut?
- Specular microscopy
- Corneal topography/tomography – Orbscan
- Anterior segment optical coherence tomography
- Ultrasound biomicroscopy
What are the corneal treatments available at Susrut?
- Collagen Cross Linking – for preventing further deterioration in keratoconus
- Corneal transplantation – surgical procedure done when there is a loss of transparency of the cornea. Can be of further two types
- Full thickness corneal transplantation (PK)
- Partial thickness corneal transplantation (DSEK and DALK)
- Limbal stem cell grafting
- Amniotic membrane transplantation
- Pterygium removal