What is cataract?
Inside the eye, there is a natural (crystalline) lens, which is transparent at birth.
When does one need to have cataract surgery?
Cataract surgery is advised when
- 1. There is loss of vision.
- 2. There is disturbing glare (difficulty in seeing in bright light) or haloes (seeing coloured rings around a light source).
- 3. The cataract has become too hard, although vision is normal, which is a common situation
- 4. Difficulty in treating other eye diseases, unless the cataract is removed.
What options do I have for cataract removal?
- 1. Phacoemulsification – Here, the cataract is removed, with the help of ultrasound energy. Before liquefying and sucking the cataract, the steps done manually are (i) entering inside the eye, (ii) opening the anterior capsule, and (iii) breaking the cataract.
- 2. Femto-second laser assisted cataract surgery (FLACS) – Here, a laser (femtosecond laser) is used (i) to enter inside the eye, (ii) open the anterior capsule and (iii) divide the cataract (instead of doing these steps manually). Then the ultrasound machine, same as in phacoemulsification, is used to liquefy and suck out the cataract. FLACS adds to the accuracy and precision of the procedure.
What options do I have for IOL implantation??
There are multiple options for IOL –
- 1. Monofocal IOL – This corrects distance vision (for those without cylindrical errors). Spectacles are needed for near (i.e reading) vision after surgery.
- 2. Toric IOL – For patients with cylindrical errors, toric IOLs are required to correct distance vision. (Else, i.e with monofocal IOLs, cylindrical spectacles will be needed for distance correction after surgery). Even with toric IOLs, spectacles will be needed for near (reading) vision.
- 3. Multifocal IOL – In addition to distance vision, this provides near (reading) and/or intermediate (computer/ mobile phone) vision. The types of mutifocal IOL, depending on the distance from the eye it provides vision, are –
- (i). Bifocal – Corrects distance and near vision.
- (ii). Trifocal – Corrects distance, intermediate and near vision.
- (iii). Extended depth of focus – Corrects distance and intermediate vision
- 4. Multifocal + Toric IOL– For patients with cylindrical errors and desiringdistance, as well as near and/or intermediate vision, IOLs with both toric and multifocal properties are required.
Dr. Ratish Chandra Paul , Head, Cataract Services
MBBS, DOMS, MS(IPGMER)
Specialisation: Cataract & Anterior Segment
He is one of the most experienced and renowned ophthalmologist from Eastern India. He specializes in Refractive Cataract Surgery and Laser Aided Cataract Surgeries. He is the medical director of Vanmukta Eye Bank. He is a faculty in cataract surgery training program at Susrut Eye Foundation and Research Centre.
Dr. Abhisek Mondal
)MBBS, MS,FSEFRC (Glaucoma)
Specialisation: Cataract and Glaucoma
Dr Abhisek Mondal has done MBBS in 2010 and MS (Ophthalmology) in 2014 from Banaras Hindu University. He has done long term fellowship in Medical and Surgical Glaucoma from Susrut Eye Foundation & Research Centre in 2017-2018.
Dr. Alok Agrawal
MBBS , MS Ph.D(Eye), FMRF, FSNEC
Specialization : Cataract, Medical Retina & Uvea
Dr. Alok Agrawal graduated from India in 2003. After his undergraduate degree he went and did a long-term observer ship in different eye hospitals in USA. He received his Postgraduate degree in Ophthalmology from India in 2008 and Ph.D. in Ophthalmology in 2011.
He did his long term fellowship training in Uveitis in 2008 at Sankara Nethralaya, India and later has acquired a wealth of experience in managing patients with a variety of complex ocular inflammatory diseases after doing another International Clinical Fellowship in Ocular Immunology & Inflammation Services from Singapore National Eye Center, Singapore in 2010.
Dr. Alok’s uveitis research interests are mainly in Vogt-Koyanagi Harada Disease, Cytomegalovirus infection in the immunocompetent. Dr. Alok’s other passion is in uveitic cataract surgery.
Dr. Amit Budrukkar
MBBS, DNB, FSEFRC (Glaucoma), FICO
Specialization :Glaucoma and Cataract
Dr Amit Budrukkar has done his MBBS from Maharashtra University of Health Sciences. He has completed his DNB from New Delhi in 2016. He has done his specialization in medical and surgical glaucoma. He has presented papers in national and international conferences.
Dr. Anirban Kundu
MBBS (Cal.), MS (RIMS), Ranchi University 2004
Specialization :Cataract & Anterior Segment
Dr. Anirban Kundu has done his MBBS and MS, before joining our hospital in 2005. He specializes in advanced techniques of Cataract Surgery, Paediatric group of patients and Diabetic patients in eye care.
Dr. Anuradha Chandra
MBBS, M.S, FAICO
Specialization :Cataract, Squint, Glaucoma, Paediatric Ophthalmology
Dr. A. Chandra completed MBBS & M.S(Opthalmology) from Medical College Kolkata in 2009. She has completed her Senior Residency in Pediatric Opthalmology Strabismus & Pediatric Glaucoma from Dr. R. P. Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, AIIMS, New Delhi in 2012. She has numerous papers dealing with Glaucoma, Strabismus and Neurophthalmology in national & international journals.
Dr. Arghya Das
MBBS, MS, FSEFRC (Cataract)
Dr Arghya Das completed his MBBS from Bankura Sammilani Medical College in 2013 and MS (Ophthalmology) from Institute of Ophthalmology, Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, AMU, Aligarh in 2017. He has done long term fellowship in cataract surgery from Susrut Eye Foundation and Research Centre, Kolkata in 2017-18.
Dr. Arindam Deb
MBBS, DO, FRCS(Glasgow)
Specialization :Cataract & Anterior Segment
Dr Arindam Deb completed MBBS and DO from University of Calcutta. He was awarded FRCS (Ophthalmology) from Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow in 2011.
He has been working in this organization for the past 12 years and successfully performing Phaco Surgery with the most advanced machines and technologies. He is also attached with several community projects of this hospital.
Dr. Arunava Bandyopadhyay
MBBS, MS, FSEFRC (Cataract)
Dr. A. Bandyopadhyay completed his MBBS from Calcutta University in 2002 and MS (Ophthalmology) from Dibrugarh University, Assam. He has done fellowship in cataract surgery from Susrut Eye Foundation & Research Centre.
Dr. Debasish Sarkar
Dr. Debasish Sarkar completed his MBBS from Goa Medical college under Bombay University in 1982 and MS (Ophthalmology)) from Regional Institute of Ophthalmology under Calcutta University.
Dr. Dhananjay Giri
MBBS, MS, Fellowship (Glaucoma & Cataract)
Specialization :Cataract and Glaucoma
Dr. Dhananjay Giri completed MBBS & MS from Kolkata. He did fellowship in Comprehensive Ophthalmology & Glaucoma from SNC, Chitrakoot (one of the largest surgery centres in India).
Dr. Diptesh Das
Dr. Diptesh Das completed his MBBS from Medical College, Kolkata in 2008 under WBUHS and D.O. from RIO, Medical College, Kolkata under WBUHS.
Dr. Sayan Das
MBBS , MS , FRCS
Specialization :Cornea, Cataract, Anterior Segment and Refractive
Dr. Sayan Das passed MBBS from Calcutta Medical College (Calcutta University) in 1999. He completed his MS (Ophthalmology) from Post-graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh in 2002. He was awarded FRCS (Ophthalmology) from Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow in 2007. He has several publications in journals and presentations at state, national and international conferences to his credit.
Dr. Sutapa Roy
MBBS , DNB
She has done MBBS from NRS Medical College, Kolkata. DNB completed in 2010. Her main areas of interest are Glaucoma and Phacoemulsification.
Dr. Anuradha Chandra
MBBS, MS, FAICO
Specialization :Cataract, Glaucoma, Paediatric and Squint
Dr. A. Chandra completed MBBS & MS(Opthalmology) from Medical College Kolkata in 2009. She has completed her Senior Residency in Pediatric Opthalmology Strabismus & Pediatric Glaucoma from Dr. R. P. Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, AIIMS, New Delhi in 2012. She has numerous papers dealing with Glaucoma, Strabismus and neurophthalmology in national & international journals.
Dr. Raka Chatterjee
MBBS, MS, FMRF(Oculoplasty)
Specialization :Cataract and Oculoplasty
Dr. Raka Chatterjee did her MBBS from NRS Medical College and her MS (Ophthalmology) from MKCG Medical College. She did a short term fellowship in cataract surgery at LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad. She did two year long term fellowship at Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai in Orbit, Oculoplasty, Reconstructive and Aeshetic Surgery and cataract surgery. She has papers published in peer reviewed journals and she has authored a few book chapters. Her areas of interest are surgeries involving the eyelids, lacrimal apparatus and Orbit in children & adults and ocular aesthetic surgery for enhancing the beauty of the face and eyes and also cataract surgery.
Cataract Services at Susrut
- Seven state-of the art operation theatres, each with laminar airflow and hepa filters.
- High end phacoemulsification machines -Centurion (Alcon), Infinity (Alcon), Stellaris (Bausch and Lomb) and Whitestar Signature Pro (Johnson and Johnson)
- Femtosecond laser machine – LenSx (Alcon).
- High end microscopes from Leica and Zeiss.
- Video recording facility for each patient (available on prior demand by patient)
- Capability to handle all difficult and complicated situations.
- Efficient cornea and vitreoretinal services to handle all intraoperative and postoperative situations